Financial Controller - with HR function
Hours: 9.00 am to 5.30 pm, 1 hour lunch, Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week. Finance - 80% of time, HR 20% of time
Location: Watford Head Office
Contract Type: Permanent - a part time position may be considered for the right candidate
Salary Band: £40,000 to £45,000 pro rata - depending on qualifications and experience
Reports to: Managing Director
Purpose of Job
To provide comprehensive financial and HR management, operation and control as well as the provision of management information via internal and external teams and systems. Moreover, to deliver TCHC’s financial duties and statutory accounts and returns effectively and efficiently.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Prepare and submit monthly management accounts within a prescribed and regular time.
- Treasury management on a day-to-day basis; funding, statutory accounts and audit.
- Oversee and supervise grant payments and receipts to include grant account cash and liability reconciliation and invoicing.
- Ensure pension payments are made monthly and all other legislative/financial requirements are met e.g. VAT, Taxation etc.
- Manage day-to-day financial services including bought ledger, financial and capital accounting, income, credit control, accounts payable, accounts receivable, paymaster function and transaction processes to service level agreements.
- Liaise effectively with internal and external auditors.
- Liaise effectively with payroll bureau and HR Department concerning monthly pay and pension’s contributions.
- Lead, motivate, develop and performance manage the Finance Team and provide the necessary support for success.
- Ensure effective budget management facilitating optimum use of available resources.
- Review and recommend financial and related IT systems to maximise effectiveness and efficiency within the department.
- Maintenance of the Capital Asset Register and record of capital charges.
- Maintain cost effective banking facilities and the principal point of contact with bankers on day-to-day matters.
- Carry out all reasonable duties as instructed by the shareholder Directors.
- Ensure a robust system of management is in place to maintain staff files
- Maintain records of benefit plans participation e.g. insurance and pension plans as well as maintaining up to date employee statistics for government reports as well as internal requirements
- Maintain annual leave and sickness records
- Analyze salary reports: new employees, leavers, wage increases etc.
The holder of this position must ensure that the company and Company Directors are aware of latest legislative /regulatory requirements in regards to Finance and HR requirements.
In addition, the post holder is expected to carry out other reasonable duties, appropriate to their experience and qualifications, to ensure the specification is fulfilled.
These duties are a guide to the work the post holder will initially be required to undertake. Amendments may be made from time to time as the role evolves and to meet changing circumstances.
Skills & Attributes
|ACA or ACCA||x|
|Continued Professional Development (CPD) Undertaken – Recorded Evidence.||x|
|KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE|
|Experience in managing small teams and external support partners e.g. HR and Accounts||x|
|Experience in use and application of computerised accounting systems eg, Sage.||x|
|Strong analytical skills - ability to sort and assess large quantities of data and report salient facts and findings in a sensible and concise manner.||x|
|Experience of successfully working to tight deadlines||x|
|Experience of working in or alongside HR||x|
|Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint – intermediate/advanced competency required.||x|
|Excellent communication skills – pleasant and professional manner - well spoken – clear, intelligible; good standard of written communication – grammar and spelling.|
|Organisation & Motivation – able to work in a methodical, structured manner, prioritising tasks and coping with peaks and troughs calmly and responsibly to strict deadlines.|
|Ability to demonstrate accuracy and attention to detail.|
|Discretion & Confidentiality – ability to demonstrate and exercise discretion and confidentiality in terms of all data and data subjects; high level of sensitivity to and awareness of parameters of role, as well team and wider relationships.|
|Management & Team-playership – ability to lead by example and work effectively within the designated team and wider head office support teams, as well as independently; keeping others informed duly taking into account any pertaining sensitivity / confidentiality.|
|Flexible, adaptable and resourceful – ability to respond according to tasks and situations appropriately, as they arise.|
|Commitment & Time-Keeping – able to demonstrate full attendance and punctuality within the designated hours of the role.|
|Personal Appearance – Smart and presentable at all times.|
TCHC is an equality and diversity employer, and is committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees.